O svetom Leopoldu Bogdanu Mandiću čitamo na stranici Radio Vatikana (1, 2, 3):
"ponizni fratar ispovjednik koji je molio za puno jedinstvo među Zapadnom i Istočnom Crkvom"
"svetac pomirenja i duhovnoga ekumenizma"
"prorok duhovnoga ekumenizma"
"osjećao je u svojemu srcu taj snažni poziv koji ga je poticao da se daje, da se posvećuje, da moli i radi za jedinstvo kršćana, posebno za jedinstvo Zapadne i Istočne Crkve, Pravoslavne Crkve i Katoličke Crkve"
Nažalost, nemam izvorno talijansko izdanje ili hrvatski prijevod (4, 5, 6) knjige o sv. Leopoldu koju je o. Pietro da Valdiporro napisao dok još nije bio u modi ovaj lažljivi način izražavanja. Citate svetog Leopolda zato prenosim prema engleskom prijevodu.
- On August 31, 1908 while assisting in hearing the confessions of priests on Retreat, he wrote: "Truly before God and the Blessed Virgin, confirmed by oath, I have undertaken in honor of the Co-Redemptress of mankind, to use all my strength in this life, under obedience to my superiors, towards the redemption of the Dissident Eastern people from schism and error."
- On May 21, 1914 he wrote: "I believe by Divine Faith that you, O Blessed Virgin, are most solicitous for the Eastern Dissidents, and I wish to cooperate as much as possible with your maternal love. All my actions shall have this intention."
- On August 21, 1914 (and again on August 3, 1928) he added: "The object of my life must be the return of the Eastern Dissidents to Catholic unity. That is, before God, in the faith of charity of Our Lord Jesus Christ who expiated the sins of the world. I must direct all my energies, so far as my poor condition allows, towards the goal of making some contribution to that great work through the merits of my life."
- On February 2, 1918 he wrote: "I believe and therefore I speak: Christ Our Lord is the Redemption: I, his unworthy minister, am truly his minister in the redemption of the Eastern schismatics. Lord, thou knowest all: thou art thyself the author of my will."
- In 1937 Padre Leopoldo wrote: "The will, the very desire, be it more or less urgent, to obtain the return of the Dissident Easterners to Catholic unity is the same divine vocation which Divine Providence has granted me...Before God I must have no further doubt about whether or not I am called for this work. In fact this has already been made abundantly clear to me."
- It was in 1935 at the Seminary in Vicenza that he wrote: "...In the grace of my vocation in favor of the Eastern Dissidents, I bind myself to a vow that from now on the whole purpose of my life shall be to obtain that as soon as possible the words of our Lord Jesus Christ that there shall be one fold and one Shepherd shall be true of the Eastern Dissidents."
- But one year before his death at the age of 76, he wrote to his spiritual director, Fr. Odorico of Pordenone: "I have the East always before my eyes and I feel that God wishes me to celebrate the Sacred Mysteries, saving where justice and charity demand otherwise, so that the great promise of one fold and one Shepherd may in due course be fulfilled. And it certainly will be. This is what I think about it: God moves his ministers to apply his merits to the Eastern Dissidents, so that He is praying for them to the extent that we celebrate the Sacred Mysteries for that intention. That means, then, that He Himself is praying through us, and we know from His own words that God the Father always answers His prayers. The great event will therefore infallibly happen. My task therefore is to work toward the realization of this great prophecy. There you have my ideas on the subject."